Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Words worth repeating

Proverbs 21:9 and Proverbs 25:24 - SAME Verse
"It is better to live in a corner of the housetop than in a house with a quarrelsome wife".

Ouch! But I understand... who wants to live with someone picking at you? The picture of this wife is someone with a scowl on their face, a critical word on their lips and ready for a fight. Someone who sees the negative in everything including her spouse.

In contrast I think of the Proverbs 31 woman. Vs. 11 says - the heart of her husband trusts in her... she does him good, not harm. Vs. 26 says - she opens her mouth with wisdom and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.

So who am I versus who I want to be? I know at times I have been and can be woman in the verse above. I'm not proud of that and do not want to go there again. It doesn't feel good. It accomplishes nothing - in fact it tears everything I care about down.

I want to be the woman that her husband has no doubt how much she loves him. I want our home to be a refuge for him and my family. I want my words to build him up and let him know I believe in him. That I see all the possibilities and plans God has for him. I want to be an example to my girls of how to love their future husbands.

Where do I start? By loving him. By reflecting on his strengths and not his weaknesses. By appreciating the role he has as head of our family and not trying to take his authority from him. By serving him in our home. It's intentional. Yes, there is a risk to love, but by serving my husband,loving him, recognizing him as head of our home - I am serving my Father in heaven who will never fail me.

No comments:

Post a Comment