Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Out of the mouths of babes

Morgan and I had an interesting conversation on the way home from church tonight that served as my devotional for today. We were talking about the difference between doing something for God or realizing what God has done for us. Which draws us closer to God? Sacrifice or Acceptance?

I was stunned by the wisdom of my (almost) 16 year old. As she shared her heart I realized the truth that God had already planted in her. She talked about how she hears about self sacrifice and striving to live a life that pleases God. I asked her "What's wrong with that?". She went on to explain that if that becomes her focus, it becomes all about works, what she needs to do to get a relationship with God. She explained she wanted her focus to be what God represented to her, how He loved her, who He was. It was then that she would be compelled to transform her life to align with Him. If it was the other way, then it would be more about what she could do for Him, not what He had already done for her.

Isn't it amazing how we naturally think about what we need to be doing for God? Really? Does He really need us to do things for Him? I went to the word and here's what I found:

Isaiah 41:29
Behold, they are all a delusion;their works are nothing;their metal images are empty wind.

Romans 4:2
For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God.

Galatians 2:16
yet we know that a person is not justified [Or counted righteous); by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.


and His Word was very clear. So if it's not about what I am doing for God, then what is it? Back to the word again...

Deuteronomy 6:5
You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.

Ephesians 2:8-9
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast.

My role is to accept the gift that God has for me (salvation), to acknowledge that He is God with everything I am, but most importantly to remember that it is not about what I can do for Him, but to acknowledge everything that He already is and worship Him.

1 comment:

  1. Our kids are so smart, aren't they? Definately food for thought!

    ReplyDelete